Making sure that your furry friend has a healthy, nutritious diet is one of the best things you can do to protect their long-term health. When choosing the right type of dog food for your pooch, it is important to choose a brand that uses high-quality ingredients that contain the nutrients a healthy canine body needs. The best dog foods are also free from empty calories, low-quality fillers, and harmful preservatives.
Unfortunately, the dog food market is flooded with brands that use low-quality ingredients that are harmful to dogs in the long run. It can be tricky to choose the right food for your pooch.
- How Can We Help?
- The Purina Brand
- Purina One Dog Food
- The Top 7 Purina One Dog Foods
- Purina One Dog Food Reviews
- 1. Purina One – Smart Blend Natural Chicken & Rice Dry Dog Food Formula
- 2. Purina One – Smart Blend Small Bites Beef & Rice Dry Dog Food Formula
- 3. Purina One – Smart Blend Natural Healthy Weight Adult Dry Dog Food
- 4. Purina One – Smart Blend Natural Digestive Health Formula for Dogs with Sensitive Stomachs
- 5. Purina One – Smart Blend Vibrant Maturity Senior 7 Plus Dog Food Formula
- 6. Purina One – Smart Blend True Instinct Natural High Protein Adult Dry Dog Food
- 7. Purina One – Smart Blend Natural Large Breed Puppy Dog Food Formula
- Final Words and Our Overall Impression of Purina One Dog Food
How Can We Help?
Given how difficult it can be to choose the right food for your dog, we have decided to take a thorough look into one of the most popular dog food brands on the market today – Purina One. Not only will we take a close look at the brand itself, but we also examine and review each of the most popular formulas within the Purina One product line.
By investigating the best-selling Purina One dog foods, we will see if they are up to our high standards for what dog food should be. We will look into these dog food formulas to determine whether or not the Purina One brand deserves to be one of the best-selling pet food brands in the world. It will also help you decide if this is the best dog food for your canine companion!
The Purina Brand
Part of the reason why Ralston Purina is such a household name is that the brand was founded in 1902! While it started as a feed company for livestock, in 1926 Purina established a pet nutrition and care facility in Missouri. The primary focus of the brand was to make nutritious, healthy, delicious dog and cat food.
Purina has been in the pet food industry for so long, they were the first company to introduce dry kibble! They were also the first to acknowledge that puppies have different nutritional requirements than adult dogs when they introduced the widely popular Purina Puppy Chow in 1963.
Today, Purina is owned by the Nestle corporation and has grown to be one of the highest-selling dog food brands in the entire world. While it is a very different company than when it was first founded over 100 years ago, the brand is still dedicated to offering highly nutritious pet foods made from high-quality, natural ingredients. They go out of their way to employ competent individuals who have a passion for animal welfare.
Purina dog food also remains committed to being one of the most innovative brands in the industry, which is why they continue to fund an industry-leading research team.
Purina One Dog Food
Purina One is considered to be Purina’s premium line of dog food. Each type of food under the Purina One label is made from the highest quality ingredients. Each of the blends is expertly tailored to the exact dietary needs of canines. By choosing a Purina One dog food, you know you are giving your dog one of the most nutritious options available.
Purina One dog foods are made in the United States in their state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities. All of their ingredients and finished products are tested for quality and to ensure they are free from harmful contaminants.
To help you decide if Purina One dog food is the right choice for your dog, we’ll take a closer look at some of the products within the Purina One catalog.
The Top 7 Purina One Dog Foods
Now that you know a little bit more about the Purina brand, we can examine some of the most popular products within the Purina One product line:
Purina One Dog Food Reviews
To help you decide if these dog foods are a good choice for your pooch, we thoroughly examined each of them. We considered many different aspects in our review, including the nutritional profile, ingredient quality, and overall value.
The Purina One Natural Chicken & Rice Formula is one of the most popular types of dog chow under the Purina One label. It is a general-purpose recipe designed to be a great option for all adult dogs.
This best dog food uses real chicken rather than a rendered chicken meal or chicken by-product meal, which is often the case with lower quality chicken-flavored dog foods. Real chicken meat is the number one ingredient, meaning most of the protein within the food comes from a highly digestible and healthy source.
Dogs enjoy the tender kibbles, as they have a pleasant texture and an appealing smell. The dry food kibbles also taste like real chicken, which is why dogs go running to their food bowl time and again when you feed them this healthy formula. The kibbles have a textured surface, which is important for your dog’s oral health. When the dog chews the kibbles, the textured surface helps to scrape plaque and tartar off of the teeth. This means that each meal is helping to keep your dog’s teeth clean and strong!
We like that this food contains natural prebiotic fiber to support a balanced microbiome within the dog’s digestive system. This helps with nutrient absorption so your dog will get everything it needs from the food it eats. It also strengthens the immune system to keep your dog healthy and happy. As with all of the dog foods within the Purina One Smart Blend line, it is fortified with added vitamins and minerals, which is part of the reason why it is such a healthy choice!
- Made with real chicken meat – the primary ingredient
- Specifically designed to be easily absorbed through the canine digestive system
- Loaded with prebiotic fiber which is important for gut health and immune system support
- Fortified with added vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients
- High protein content helps support lean and strong muscles
- Supports cardiovascular health
- Made in the United States
- Veterinarian recommended for adult dogs of all breeds and sizes
The Purina One Small Bites Beef & Rice Formula was specifically designed for adult small breed dogs. To ensure that small breeds can properly chew the dry kibbles, they are much smaller than their general purpose and large breed dog food formulas. With that said, the kibbles are still dry and textured so they can scrape away plaque and tartar from your dog’s teeth.
Given that many small and toy-sized breeds have a heightened susceptibility to dental issues, they must be given food that will help clean their teeth. In terms of nutritional content, the primary ingredient is real beef. This means that the food is rich in highly digestible protein. This is especially helpful if your dog has a sensitive stomach since beef tends to trigger fewer food-related allergies than poultry.
It is also loaded with natural sources of glucosamine to help combat joint pain. Again, this is important for small breed dogs, as many of them suffer from elbow dysplasia as they age. This formula also contains added essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B12, D3, manganese, calcium, and more.
This Purina dog food blend is rich in prebiotic fiber, so your little dog’s digestive system will continue to function properly. This is especially important for immune system function, which becomes even more vital as the dog ages. Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids help support healthy skin and coat so your dog will look its best.
If you have a small breed dog and are searching for healthy and nutritious food, you cannot go wrong with Purina One Smart Blend Small Bites! These little kibbles are big on taste and nutrition.
- Rich in natural antioxidants to help maintain a strong and healthy immune system
- Loaded with glucosamine to support long-term joint health
- Omega-3 and -6 fatty acids support healthy skin and a shiny coat
- Beef is the number one ingredient – a highly digestible and healthy source of protein
- Small kibbles are designed for the jaws and teeth of small breed dogs
- Textured dry kibbles help clean the teeth to support oral health
- Made in the United States in Purina’s modern manufacturing facility
- Veterinarian recommended for small breed adult dogs
Purina One Smart Blend Healthy Weight Dog Food helps overweight dogs achieve a healthy body weight. It is also a good choice for breeds with a heightened risk of obesity, such as Labrador Retrievers, Beagles, and British Bulldogs.
Each serving is loaded with high-quality sources of protein to help the dog maintain lean muscle while they are losing fat. The number one ingredient is real turkey meat, so the primary protein source is incredibly lean and highly digestible.
Another way this particular formula helps overweight dogs is the natural sources of glucosamine. Overweight and obese dogs have a severely heightened risk of developing joint issues, as the added weight puts strain on their delicate elbows and hips. Glucosamine helps restore the joints and even eases some of the joint-related pain these dogs experience.
This food is high in fiber, which is important for digestive health. Since it is a weight management blend, it contains 25% less fat and 15% fewer calories than the standard Purina One Smart Blend Formula. While it is lower in calories, it still contains just as many vitamins and minerals as you would expect from Purina One dry dog food.
The tender and meaty kibbles will have your dog excited about its meals, even though this food is healthy and contains fewer calories. Calcium, vitamin E, and Omega-3 fatty acids also help promote healthy skin and a radiant coat. Overall, it is an excellent choice for any overweight dog or one with a risk of obesity and unhealthy weight gain.
- Real turkey meat is the number one ingredient so your dog will absorb plenty of high-quality protein
- Contains 25% less animal fat and 15% percent fewer calories per volume than their standard Purina One Smart Blend dog foods
- Made in the United States in Purina’s advanced dog food manufacturing facility
- Contains natural sources of glucosamine, which is important for supporting healthy joints
- Enriched with all of the essential vitamins and minerals your dog needs
- Dry, textured kibbles are highly appealing to dogs and help to clean the teeth
- Rich in plant-based prebiotic fiber to support your dog’s digestive health
- Veterinarian-recommended for overweight adult dogs and breeds that are prone to obesity
This Smart Blend Digestive Health Formula is Purina’s solution for dogs prone to food-related allergies and various food sensitivities. Each of these crunchy kibbles is free from artificial flavors, preservatives, and fillers, which are all common allergy triggers for canines.
The primary protein source is real chicken meat, which is easier for your dog to digest than some of the tougher protein sources. It has real brown rice, which makes the kibbles more digestible. The food is enriched with live probiotic organisms, which is incredibly beneficial for your dog’s gut health. It helps their sensitive digestive systems break the food down properly so the nutrients can be absorbed. The kibbles also contain natural sources of prebiotic fiber to support digestive health.
This food has more antioxidants than other formulas, which is critical for a healthy cardiovascular system. Added essential vitamins and minerals, like vitamin E, A, B12, zinc, copper, and selenium, help promote immune system health.
While the name might make you think that this food is bland and unappealing, these kibbles are packed with flavor and have a nice crunch that appeals to dogs. They also have a textured surface and are packed with calcium to support dental health.
If your dog suffers from stomach issues and food-related allergies, try Purina One Smart Blend Digestive Health Formula, as it gives dogs the nutrition they need without causing negative reactions.
- Enriched with live probiotics and natural prebiotic fiber to help support a healthy and highly-functioning digestive system
- Contains real chicken meat and plenty of brown rice, which helps dogs with a sensitive stomach absorb the necessary protein and carbohydrates
- Kibbles are dry and textured to promote dental health
- Rich in antioxidants and a healthy blend of vitamins and minerals
- Free from artificial flavors, colors, preservatives, and fillers, so it should not trigger food-related allergies
- Made in the United States and formulated by dog nutritionists
This Smart Blend Vibrant Maturity Formula was specifically designed to meet the unique nutritional requirements of senior and aging dogs. This means that it contains exactly what dogs need after they reach seven years of age and is free from ingredients that can be harmful to senior dogs.
Real chicken meat is the number one ingredient, so your elderly dog will still have a high-quality protein source to help support their aging muscles and joints. The food is completely free from fillers, which makes it easier for your dog to digest.
Enhanced botanical oils are added to each kibble to promote mental sharpness, which is critical as your dog ages. These essential fatty acids also support cardiovascular function. Added glucosamine is beneficial for aging and painful joints, so if your dog suffers from hip dysplasia, arthritis, or any other joint-related issue, this Vibrant Maturity blend is a great choice.
The food also has a lower salt content to protect the kidneys. Too much salt in their diet can have detrimental effects on the health of older dogs, especially as kidney function declines with age. While the food is perfectly balanced for senior dogs, it still has the delicious, meaty taste that dogs enjoy and the crunchy texture that all dogs find satisfying. The dry kibbles also support dental health, which is important for senior dogs with a higher chance of oral health issues.
If you own a senior dog, or your dog is approaching its senior life stage, help them age gracefully by choosing high-quality, senior-specific dog food!
- Made with real chicken meat as the primary protein source, which is easy for your senior dog’s weakened digestive system to absorb
- Made with high-quality carbohydrates so your aging dog can remain energetic
- Rich in natural sources of glucosamine to support healthy joints
- Lower in calories and fat than regular adult blends, which is important for aging kidneys
- Reduced salt content
- Rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which is incredibly beneficial for mental alertness, digestive health, and a high-functioning immune system
- Veterinarian-recommended for dogs over the age of seven
For active breeds and dogs that are energetic, this Purina One True Instinct High Protein Adult Dog Food is the ideal choice. It has an impressive 32% protein content. Not only does it contain far more protein than standard dry dog food, but the protein is sourced from real beef. This high-quality meat is highly digestible, so your dog will absorb the protein it needs.
The food is fortified with added vitamins, minerals, and essential nutrients. Everything about this food supports high energy levels and strong, lean muscles. Real beef and salmon meat increase the protein content. Not only is salmon rich in digestible amino acids, but it also contains high levels of omega-3 and omega 6-fatty acids, which is important for a healthy cardiovascular system.
This food is completely free from poultry by-products, which are common allergens for canines. It is also free from artificial colors, flavors, and scents, so your dog will enjoy the taste and smell of real meat. The food also has a natural, meaty texture, so your dog will be excited about his or her meals.
While added protein is the main draw of this dog food, it is also packed with all of the other nutrients your active dog needs. Added glucosamine helps support a healthy joint system, which is important for any dog with an active lifestyle. While the kibbles are tender, they also have a textured surface to clean your dog’s teeth, just like the other formulas in the Purina One product line.
If you have one of the more active and energetic breeds, like a Siberian Husky, Australian Shepherd, German Shepherd, or Labrador Retriever, you cannot go wrong with this high protein dog food blend!
- Contains 32% protein, which is sourced from real beef and salmon meat
- Does not contain poultry by-products, artificial flavors, or harmful preservatives
- Natural sources of glucosamine to help support healthy joints
- Made in the United States in their state-of-the-art manufacturing facility
- Loaded with essential vitamins and minerals
- Contains plenty of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which is important for a healthy coat and digestive system
- Tender and tasty dry kibbles that clean the teeth and taste delicious to dogs
The Purina company was the first dog food manufacturer to recognize that puppies have different nutrient and calorie requirements than adult dogs. Their Natural Large Breed Puppy Dog Food Formula is one of the best puppy foods for large breeds on the market today.
Large breed puppies grow at an incredible speed, so you must choose a puppy food that contains all of the protein and healthy fat their growing bodies need. This particular formula is high in digestible protein, which is beneficial for their growing muscles. It also has essential fatty acids, like omega-3 and omega-6, which are critical for eye and brain development. Given that the nutrients are delivered as textured, dry kibble, your puppy’s tiny teeth will stay clean and healthy. While some believe that soft food is better for puppies, dry dog foods are proven to help strengthen their jaw muscles and clean their teeth, which is important for gum line health, even if your pooch still has its puppy teeth!
Large breed puppies also tend to be unstable as they grow, which is why it is so important to support their growing joints. Thankfully, this formula is loaded with natural sources of glucosamine, so your puppy’s developing joints will get what they need. The ingredients are all easy to digest, which is important for the delicate stomachs of puppies. Antioxidants and a unique blend of vitamins and minerals are also beneficial for your pup’s growing body.
Overall, this food has exactly what large breed puppies need to grow into happy, healthy adult dogs. If you have one of the larger breeds and your pooch is still in his or her puppy stage, you cannot go wrong with this unique puppy food!
- Contains more protein and healthy fat by volume than their adult formulas since a puppy’s growing body needs more protein and fat to grow properly
- Loaded with essential fatty acids, which is important for eye and brain development
- Dry and textured kibbles help clean the teeth and promote gum health and jaw muscle development
- Contains natural sources of glucosamine, which is important for joint development and health
- Veterinarian-recommended for large breed puppies
Final Words and Our Overall Impression of Purina One Dog Food
It is important to feed your dog healthy and nutritious food, so we do not take these reviews lightly. Each of the Purina One dog foods stands up to our high standards for quality. The Purina One product line contains a wide range of healthy dog foods formulated to meet the exact needs of different types of dogs.
All of the Purina One dog food formulas we reviewed above use high-quality ingredients that are easily digestible and nutritious. We feel confident that you can find a Purina One dog food that will contain exactly what your dog needs to live a happy and healthy life. Not only are the Purina One dog foods healthy, but dogs also find them irresistible. If your dog is a picky eater, you will not have to worry about them turning their nose up to a bowl of Purina One dog food.
Simply put, we highly recommend any of the dog foods under the Purina One label. While some of Purina’s cheaper dog foods are lacking in some areas, the Purina One line is really impressive. There are plenty of good reasons why veterinarians everywhere recommend them. Hopefully, we helped you determine the best Purina dog food for your pet.
If you have questions about the specific type of dog food you should buy for your pooch, speak with your veterinarian, and they will be able to develop a diet plan that will work for you and your canine companion!
I grew up in a household that was filled with animals. I believe that my fate as a dog-loving person was sealed in early childhood since my parents owned several dogs of varying sizes and breeds. There was no choice but to take care of and learn about dog habits and the best animal care practices — otherwise, I’d be clueless about how to go about the creatures I was surrounded by day and night.
As a life-long puppy lover, I know a thing or two about dogs and how to go about caring for them in the best way possible. Although I’m not a professionally trained dog behaviorist, trainer, or veterinarian, all of my knowledge and experience with canines comes from a place of love and a deep-rooted passion for dogs and animals in general.
Seeing as dogs kept me company throughout every stage of my life, I decided to follow a different path in my academic life and obtained a Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Marketing Management and Digital Advertising, which ultimately allowed me to combine my professional training and personal experience by creating the ultimate dog lover’s resource website! Along with my husband, Dave, I run MySweetPuppy for like-minded dog lovers who want to have a single, clear, and reliable information source about anything and everything related to dogs and their well-being.