Choosing the right type of shampoo for your furry little friend is far more important than you may think. Harsh shampoos made with low-quality ingredients can irritate dogs’ skin, which can lead to chronic itchiness, excess shedding, and, of course, dandruff.
If you want your dog’s coat to look and feel its best, choose a high-quality, dog-specific shampoo made by a reputable company. This is even more important if you find that your dog is already prone to dandruff and shedding.
- How Can We Help?
- What are Anti-Dandruff and De-Shedding Dog Shampoos and How Do They Work?
- What to Look for in an Anti-Dandruff Dog Shampoo
- The Best Dog Dandruff Shampoos
- 1. The Best Overall – Rocco & Roxie Supply Co. – Calm Soothing Hypoallergenic Shampoo for Dogs with Sensitive Skin
- 2. The Runner Up – Burt’s Bees – Shed Control Natural Dog Shampoo
- 3. The Best 2-in-1 Option – Buddy’s Best – Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoo and Conditioner
- 4. Editor’s Choice – Hartz Groomer’s Best – Professional Anti-Dandruff Dog Shampoo
- 5. The Best for Dogs with Allergies – AllerSearch Pet+ – Anti-Allergen and Dandruff Dog Shampoo
- 6. The Best Budget-Friendly Option – Lambert Kay – Fresh ‘n Clean Medicated Dog Shampoo for Scaling, Dandruff, and Dermatitis
- 7. Best for Big Dogs – Bark 2 Basics – Natural Colloidal Oatmeal Dog Shampoo
- 8. Best Deodorizing Anti-Dandruff Dog Shampoo – Mika Pets – Deodorizing Oatmeal & Aloe Dog Shampoo
- 9. Best for Dogs with Sensitive Skin – John Paul Pet – Oatmeal Shampoo Sensitive Skin Formula
- Final Words
How Can We Help?
One of the easiest ways to get your dog’s dandruff and shedding down is to bathe your pooch with an effective dog dandruff shampoo.
The best dog dandruff shampoos also contain ingredients that help soothe the dog’s skin, which reduces itchiness. In many cases, these shampoos also help with shedding, as they nourish the coat and prevent loose hairs from falling out.
To help you choose the right product for your dog, we are going to highlight some of the best options on the market today. We will also explain how these shampoos work and why they are effective at treating dandruff, shedding, and itchy skin!
What are Anti-Dandruff and De-Shedding Dog Shampoos and How Do They Work?
In most cases, anti-dandruff shampoo is also considered de-shedding dog shampoo because treating dandruff and treating shedding issues involves the same process – nourishing the dog’s fur and skin so it is less dry, itchy, and irritated.
These shampoos work by clearing the dog’s pores and pulling away dead hair, skin, and trapped oil. They penetrate deep into the undercoat, so the dog’s skin receives the moisture and nourishment it needs. They often contain natural ingredients that help to restore moisture into the skin and hair. Essential vitamins, minerals, and fatty acids within the shampoo also help to reduce the severity of the dog’s dandruff and shedding issue.
Other soothing ingredients, such as oat extracts, aloe vera gel, and honey, help soften the skin and remove excess oil, grease, dead skin, and dirt from the dog’s fur. These ingredients also help exfoliate and repair the skin, which is important if you want to address the root cause of dandruff.
By soothing the surface of the skin, these shampoos reduce dryness and flakiness, which is essential if you want to reduce the amount of dandruff your dog produces!
What to Look for in an Anti-Dandruff Dog Shampoo
When you are in the market for anti-dandruff dog shampoo, there are a few key features you should look for. For starters, you should consider your budget. While some vet-recommended best dog shampoos are extremely expensive, others work well at treating dandruff issues but with better value.
Look for dog shampoos for dandruff that are free from harsh chemicals and artificial fragrances, as these ingredients can make your dog’s dandruff issue even worse.
Look for a dog shampoo that treats the root cause of dandruff, rather than just cleaning the fur. The shampoo should have soothing ingredients like oatmeal, aloe vera, and coconut oil.
The Best Dog Dandruff Shampoos
Now that we have explained how they work, we can go over our top picks for the best dog dandruff shampoos on the market. We spent plenty of time looking into all of the different options out there, so you don’t have to!
1. The Best Overall – Rocco & Roxie Supply Co. – Calm Soothing Hypoallergenic Shampoo for Dogs with Sensitive Skin
This unique formula from Rocco & Roxie Supply Co. helps nourish your dog’s skin, which helps reduce the shedding, dandruff, and itchiness that can result from using a lower quality dog shampoo.
It contains only the best natural ingredients, including aloe vera extract. Where low-quality dog shampoos for dandruff are filled with artificial colors and dyes, as well as alcohols, parabens, and phosphates, Calm by Rocco & Roxie Supply Co. is free from these harmful ingredients. Not only will it help reduce the severity of your dog’s dandruff issue, but ingredients like chamomile and rosemary also help to restore and soften the skin, which prevents the dryness that causes dandruff.
As the name suggests, Calm Dog Shampoo helps stubborn and anxious adult dogs enjoy their baths. The natural scents help relax the dog, which means it will be much easier for you to give your dog a more thorough bath.
Another thing we liked about this dog shampoo is how easy it is to rinse off the skin and out of the fur. In many cases, shampoo gets trapped on the surface of the skin, which only worsens dandruff and skin irritation. This natural formula does not cling to the skin, so after you work it in, you can just wash it away with water.
- Contains a high volume of real aloe vera extract, which helps soothe the surface of the skin and prevent dandruff from reoccurring
- Free from harmful ingredients that can irritate your dog’s skin, like alcohol, artificial dyes, and perfumes
- Backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee from Rocco & Roxie Supply Co.
- Incredibly easy to rinse from the skin and fur
- Contains argan oil, which helps restore softness and shine to the coat
- Designed for all life stages, so it is safe to use on puppies, as well as adult dogs
- Soothing, natural scents help calm dogs, so baths are less stressful
2. The Runner Up – Burt’s Bees – Shed Control Natural Dog Shampoo
You might be surprised to learn that the founder of Burt’s Bees, Burt Shavitz, was a dedicated dog owner who firmly believed our pets deserve the same natural and safe products we use on ourselves. This is why Burt’s Bees now has a full line of natural pet care products!
As the name suggests, Burt’s Bees Shed Control Dog Shampoo helps treat shedding at the source by repairing existing hair with natural ingredients. In doing so, it also helps soothe the skin, which helps reduce dandruff and dryness.
Soothing ingredients like vitamin-rich oatmeal extracts and real beeswax help restore moisture to the skin and coat. These ingredients also help strengthen the hair, which is how the formula can reduce shedding so effectively.
The formula is also pH-balanced, so it is safe to use with all breeds and life stages, even puppies. Burt’s Bees is one of the most recommended dog shampoo brands by groomers and veterinarians, so you know you are buying a safe and effective product that can help reduce shedding and dandruff.
We like that this shampoo is enriched with omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin E as this helps solve dandruff issues at the source. It also has the added benefit of giving your dog a luxurious and shiny coat. If you are tired of the amount of loose hair and dandruff your dog leaves around the house, Burt’s Bees Shed Control Dog Shampoo is an outstanding choice. An added bonus is that it is also one of the most affordable options!
- Made from natural and ethically-sourced ingredients
- Contains added omega-3 and vitamin E which help to soothe the skin and solve dandruff issues at the source
- pH-balanced so it will not dry out the dog’s skin or irritate their eyes
- Safe for use on all life stages and breeds, so it works just as well for puppies as it does for adult dogs
- Contains beeswax and oatmeal which help soothe the skin and reduce the itchiness that contributes to dandruff
- Strengthens the coat to reduce shedding and restores the natural shine and gloss that low-quality shampoos can strip from your dog’s coat
3. The Best 2-in-1 Option – Buddy’s Best – Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoo and Conditioner
This hypoallergenic 2-in-1 dog shampoo and conditioner from Buddy’s Best was specifically designed to help repair the skin and coat of sensitive dogs. It is made without harsh chemicals that dry out the skin and cause itchiness and irritation so it will help cure your dog’s dandruff issue.
The pet-safe and natural ingredients help prevent future skin inflammation, so your dog will not generate nearly as much dandruff and, more importantly, the dog will feel better than ever before. Not only does this Buddy’s Best dog shampoo soothe the skin and coat, but it also will not irritate your dog’s eyes, which is important.
The formula is loaded with real oatmeal and aloe vera. These two ingredients work together to relieve itchiness and dryness – the two leading causes of dandruff. As a bonus, this amazing 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner will leave your dog’s coat feeling silky and smooth.
We like that this product also helps to deodorize the coat instead of masking foul smells with artificial scents and perfumes. Because it is free from artificial scents, it is less likely to trigger allergies.
If you have a dog with shedding and dandruff issues who also has sensitive skin, Buddy’s Best Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoo and Conditioner is the perfect option!
- Contains high-quality natural ingredients like shea butter, coconut oil, organic aloe vera extract, vanilla bean, and oatmeal
- Hypoallergenic formula which means it does not contain alcohol or harsh soaps that irritate and dry the skin
- Made from vegan-friendly and cruelty-free ingredients
- Moisturizes the skin to prevent dandruff from reoccuring
- Leaves the coat shiny, silky, and smooth to the touch
4. Editor’s Choice – Hartz Groomer’s Best – Professional Anti-Dandruff Dog Shampoo
If you are looking for professional results and a dog shampoo that will treat the root cause of your dog’s dandruff issue rather than simply removing existing dandruff, this medicated shampoo from Hartz Groomer’s Best is the ideal choice!
It is made without added parabens or alcohol, so it will not dry out your dog’s skin and worsen their dandruff issue, like some lower-quality shampoos. The inclusion of 2% salicylic acid is the key to this shampoo’s effectiveness. It helps treat the skin so dandruff and flakiness will become a thing of the past.
Even though it contains salicylic acid, it is surprisingly gentle and can be used on all breeds. That said, you should only use it two times per week or less, as overusing the shampoo can hamper its effectiveness.
While its main purpose is to cure your dog’s dry skin and dandruff issues, it also works well as a coat cleanser. The natural ingredients pull dirt, oil, and loose hair from the coat, so your dog’s coat will look and feel great. The natural jasmine and citrus scent will leave your dog smelling fresh and clean.
While this shampoo was originally intended for use by professional groomers and veterinarians, it is also a great option for any pet owner. If you are looking for a product that treats the root causes of dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis, we highly recommend this effective dog shampoo from Hartz Groomer’s Best!
- Made without harsh chemicals and alcohols so it will not dry out your dog’s skin
- Salicylic acid helps repair your dog’s skin, addressing the root cause of dandruff
- Gentle enough to work with all coat types and lengths
- Offers effective itch-relief so your dog will stay comfortable
- Leaves dogs with a pleasant jasmine and citrus scent
- Highly recommended by professional groomers and veterinarians
- Convenient pump-style lid
5. The Best for Dogs with Allergies – AllerSearch Pet+ – Anti-Allergen and Dandruff Dog Shampoo
This medicated dog shampoo from AllerSearch Pet+ washes dander and loose hair from your dog’s coat. The hypoallergenic formula will not trigger your dog’s allergies, making it a highly popular choice for allergy-prone pooches.
Not only will the shampoo not trigger your dog’s skin allergies, but it also helps remove environmental allergens from the dog’s coat. This can be effective for offering your dog relief from allergic reactions.
The formula uses natural ingredients that are completely fragrance-free. Once rinsed from your dog’s fur, it helps create a barrier that keeps fleas, ticks, and other biting insects away from your dog. The barrier lasts up to 30 days, so you only have to use this shampoo once per month to help protect your dog from fleas and ticks!
It uses plant and root extracts and does not irritate the skin. It is also pH-balanced, so it is suitable for dogs of all ages. AllerSearch Pet+ products are tested by professionals to ensure they are safe and effective. This particular formula is ideal for any dog with allergies and persistent dandruff and skin issues. Overall, it is an excellent product that can offer your dog real relief.
- Made from 100% natural ingredients, including plant and root extracts
- Helps deodorize the fur so your dog is left smelling fresh and clean
- Mild formula is gentle enough to use daily but remains effective for up to 30 days
- Veterinarian and allergist recommended
- Helps remove dandruff, loose fur, dirt, and allergens from the coat
- Fragrance-free and 100% biodegradable
- Cleans the fur and provides a protective barrier against allergens and biting insects
6. The Best Budget-Friendly Option – Lambert Kay – Fresh ‘n Clean Medicated Dog Shampoo for Scaling, Dandruff, and Dermatitis
Lambert Kay’s Fresh ‘n Clean Medicated Dog Shampoo is an affordable and effective option for those who want to stick to a budget. This medicated dog shampoo helps to soften and soothe the skin, while other ingredients help strengthen the hair and give it a healthier appearance.
This shampoo works to relieve skin itch as it penetrates beneath the undercoat and reaches the dog’s skin. It is also fragrance-free so your dog will be left smelling clean and fresh rather than covered in artificial scents. It uses no artificial perfumes so it will not trigger your dog’s allergies.
While the affordable price is certainly a highlight, the fact that it so effectively soothes the skin to prevent dandruff from occurring is what caught our attention. If your dog has itchy and flaky skin or its fur is regularly filled with dandruff and dander, this simple dog shampoo is a great choice. If you own more than one dog, the affordable price will really help you out!
- Made from natural ingredients that help remove dandruff and loose hair from the coat
- Soothes and repairs dry and damaged skin so your dog will be less likely to create heavy amounts of dandruff in the future
- Incredibly affordable price, making it a great option for those with multiple dogs as well as those that are on a tight budget
- Conditions the coat as it cleans
- Rinses out easily so you don’t have to worry about trapped shampoo drying out your dog’s skin and coat
- Fragrance-free so it will not trigger allergies or leave your dog with an unnatural odor
7. Best for Big Dogs – Bark 2 Basics – Natural Colloidal Oatmeal Dog Shampoo
If you own a full-grown, large-breed dog, you know that you need to use plenty of shampoo to keep your pooch clean. This is even more important if your large-breed dog has a thick, lengthy coat. If you need lots of shampoo, this 1-gallon bottle of dilutable anti-dandruff dog shampoo from Bark 2 Basics is the ideal option.
While a full gallon may seem like a lot, it works out to 16 gallons per bottle, as it has a 16:1 dilution ratio. You can use one part shampoo to 16 parts water. If you need a stronger shampoo when your dog is really dirty, you can reduce the dilution ratio.
In terms of quality, this shampoo uses natural ingredients that help to moisturize the skin and coat, working to cure the dry skin and chronic itchiness that cause dogs to have dandruff problems. Colloidal oatmeal helps soothe the skin and reduce some of the inflammation that makes dogs feel so itchy. The shampoo can help reduce the amount of dandruff your dog leaves behind and make your dog feel more comfortable.
Not only does this Bark 2 Basics Natural Colloidal Oatmeal Dog Shampoo offer an outstanding value, but it also works exceptionally well. As with all dog care products in the Bark 2 Basics catalog, this shampoo is made in small batches in their manufacturing facility in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. We like that this family-owned business is committed to making all of its products domestically!
- Can be diluted to create 16 gallons of high-quality dog shampoo, which is great news for those with multiple dogs
- Made in the United States from the highest quality ingredients
- Contains soothing ingredients like coconut oil, colloidal oatmeal, and natural tree gum extracts
- Treats dry and itchy skin to reduce shedding and dandruff
- Replenishes and conditions the coat so it is left looking and feeling softer than ever
- Natural coconut scent leaves your dog smelling fresh and clean
- Safe for all dogs that are over the age of 8 weeks old
- Completely free from harsh soaps, parabens, and other chemicals that can dry out the skin
8. Best Deodorizing Anti-Dandruff Dog Shampoo – Mika Pets – Deodorizing Oatmeal & Aloe Dog Shampoo
This deodorizing dog shampoo and conditioner from Mika Pets cleans and deodorizes your dog’s fur while repairing their dry and itchy skin. It is pH-balanced, which means it is safe for all types of dogs.
The real secret to the effectiveness of this particular formula is the highly concentrated mix of colloidal oatmeal and real aloe leaf juice. This combination helps moisturize the skin and coat while acting as a potent anti-inflammatory. If you notice your dog scratching and biting at their skin, it is a sign that they are experiencing extremely itchy skin. When dogs scratch themselves excessively, dead skin cells can flake, which contributes to the amount of dandruff in their coat. By soothing and healing the skin, this shampoo solves dandruff at its source.
The fact that it also works as a deodorizer is a real bonus if you find your dog has a stinky coat. Dogs with a double coat are prone to getting moisture and bacteria trapped under the fur, which is where that unpleasant, yeasty smell comes from. Using a deodorizing shampoo that can penetrate both coats is one of the best ways to eliminate these unpleasant odors.
While it may sound like a powerful formula, this shampoo is so gentle that it can even be used on puppies and cats! If you are looking for a safe and effective shampoo that will deodorize your dog’s coat and soothe their dry and damaged skin, you cannot go wrong with this Deodorizing Oatmeal & Aloe Dog Shampoo from Mika Pets.
- Hypoallergenic ingredients and pH-balanced so it is safe for all breeds and life stages
- Completely free from sulfate, phosphate, and allergens
- Penetrates beneath the undercoat to effectively deodorize all layers of fur
- Aloe vera and colloidal oatmeal soothe the skin which helps cure chronic itchiness and dandruff issues
- Each purchase comes with a free download code for their Healthy Dog Secrets e-book
- Made in the United States from high-quality, natural ingredients
- Has a fresh and natural coconut scent
9. Best for Dogs with Sensitive Skin – John Paul Pet – Oatmeal Shampoo Sensitive Skin Formula
Some dogs have far more sensitive skin than others, and traditional dog shampoos can irritate and inflame their skin, leading to chronic and painful itchiness. If your dog is prone to skin issues, this Oatmeal Dog Shampoo from John Paul Pet is the ideal product. It soothes and moisturizes the skin and is completely free from harmful ingredients that can irritate the skin and coat of sensitive canines.
Part of why it is such an effective-yet-gentle formula is that John Paul Pet uses a hydrolyzed oat protein as one of the primary ingredients. They also add aloe vera and chamomile to gently clean the fur while moisturizing the skin.
Rather than using harsh chemicals, this soothing formula has concentrated botanicals and natural oils. Where other dog shampoos contain artificial scents, this formula has a sweet-scented, natural almond oil that leaves your dog with a pleasant almond fragrance. The almond oil smells great while helping to condition and soften the fur so your dog’s coat will look and feel better than ever.
Not only is this dog shampoo great for dogs that have sensitive, dandruff-prone skin; John Paul Pet is also an admirable brand. For starters, they make all of their dog shampoos in the United States. They also support numerous dog-related charities and non-profits by donating a portion of proceeds from each sale to various animal welfare organizations.
- Creates a silky lather that makes it easier to work into your dog’s coat
- Hydrolyzed oat proteins help moisturize the skin so your dog will be less itchy
- Has a natural almond scent that works to soothe your dog
- Helps remove loose hair, dandruff, and flakes from your dog’s coat and skin surface
- Made in the United States using high-quality, natural ingredients
- Portion of proceeds from each sale is donated to animal welfare organizations
- Specifically formulated for dogs with sensitive skin
If your dog suffers from persistent dandruff issues, one of the best things you can do is invest in a high-quality dog shampoo formulated to treat dandruff and other skin-related issues. Not only is dandruff messy and unpleasant to look at, but it is also a sign that your dog’s skin is itchy and irritated. By soothing the skin with a moisturizing dog shampoo, you can solve your dog’s dandruff issue and help your pooch feel its best.
If you are tired of dealing with your dog’s dandruff issues, the dog shampoos highlighted above could be the perfect solution. Not only do they remove dandruff from the coat, but they also smell great, deodorize the coat, and restore moisture to the surface of the dog’s skin.
Remember, using a low-quality dog shampoo with harsh chemicals and artificial fragrances can do more harm than good. While it may temporarily rid your dog’s coat of dandruff and skin flakes, it can ultimately make the dog’s dandruff issue even worse.
Many of the dog shampoos reviewed here are also affordable, so treating your dog’s dandruff issue does not have to be expensive. Consider your budget and choose the shampoo from our list that appeals the most to your personal preferences!
I grew up in a household that was filled with animals. I believe that my fate as a dog-loving person was sealed in early childhood since my parents owned several dogs of varying sizes and breeds. There was no choice but to take care of and learn about dog habits and the best animal care practices — otherwise, I’d be clueless about how to go about the creatures I was surrounded by day and night.
As a life-long puppy lover, I know a thing or two about dogs and how to go about caring for them in the best way possible. Although I’m not a professionally trained dog behaviorist, trainer, or veterinarian, all of my knowledge and experience with canines comes from a place of love and a deep-rooted passion for dogs and animals in general.
Seeing as dogs kept me company throughout every stage of my life, I decided to follow a different path in my academic life and obtained a Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Marketing Management and Digital Advertising, which ultimately allowed me to combine my professional training and personal experience by creating the ultimate dog lover’s resource website! Along with my husband, Dave, I run MySweetPuppy for like-minded dog lovers who want to have a single, clear, and reliable information source about anything and everything related to dogs and their well-being.