While shedding is natural for all types of dogs, it can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you have one of the many double-coated breeds that sheds a significant amount of fur each day. Luckily, there are plenty of natural solutions to help reduce and control your dog’s shedding issue.
One of the easiest ways to get your furry friend’s shedding under control is to choose shed-control dog food. By choosing the right dog food blend, you can cut down on excessive shedding and make sure that your home stays cleaner than before.
As a bonus, most dog foods that help with shedding also improve the health and appearance of your dog’s coat! Simply put, a healthy diet often translates to a healthy coat!
To help you choose the right dog food for reducing shedding, we have reviewed some of the best options on the market today. We will also go over some other tips and tricks you can try to reduce your pup’s shedding!
- 6 Easy Ways to Help Reduce Your Dog’s Shedding
- Brush Your Dog’s Coat!
- Consider Bathing Your Pooch with a Shed Control Dog Shampoo
- Make Sure Your Pooch Drinks Enough Water
- Consider an Omega 3 and Omega 6 Shedding Supplement
- Make Sure Your Dog is on an Appropriate Flea and Tick Medication
- Make Sure Your Pooch Gets Enough Exercise Each Day
- How Can the Right Food Reduce Your Dog’s Shedding?
- The Top 6 Dog Foods for Shedding
- Reviews of the 6 Best Dog Foods for Shedding
- 1. Best Overall Option – Hill’s Science Diet – Dry Adult Dog Food for Sensitive Stomach and Skin
- 2. The Runner Up – AvoDerm – Natural Dry & Wet Dog Food for Skin and Coat
- 3. Best for Allergy-Prone Dogs – Diamond Naturals – Dry Adult Dog Food for Skin and Coat Health
- 4. Best Budget-Friendly Option – Purina – Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach Adult Dry Dog Food
- 5. Best for Dogs with Joint Issues – Canidae – Pure Limited Ingredient Premium Adult Dog Food
- 6. Best for Small Breeds – Purina – Beyond Natural Adult Dry Dog Food Superfood Blend
6 Easy Ways to Help Reduce Your Dog’s Shedding
While dietary changes can make a big difference and reduce the severity of your dog’s shedding issue, there are a few other quick tricks you can follow to reduce shedding and keep your home clean.
Not only are the following tricks encouraged by veterinarians, but they are also really easy and will not take up too much of your time.
Brush Your Dog’s Coat!
While this may sound obvious, you would be surprised how many dog owners do not brush their dog’s coat or do not do so often enough. Not only will brushing your dog with a dog grooming brush help pull dead and damaged hairs from the coat, but it will also stimulate the skin and encourage the growth of stronger and healthier fur.
If you have a double-coated breed, like a Golden Retriever, Siberian Husky, or Australian Shepherd, consider investing in an undercoat rake, which will help pull dead hairs from the bottom layer of fur, so it will not end up around the house.
Consider Bathing Your Pooch with a Shed Control Dog Shampoo
These dog-friendly shampoos may reduce shedding. Many help strengthen the coat and nourish dry skin with vitamins and healthy fats. These shampoos also help bring dead hairs to the surface of your dog’s coat, so you can wash them away as you scrub and clean the fur.
Make Sure Your Pooch Drinks Enough Water
While it may sound strange, dogs tend to shed far more when they are dehydrated. Ensuring that your dog always has access to a bowl of clean water will help reduce their shedding. Not only is proper water intake important for controlling and reducing shedding, but it is also critical for your dog’s overall health.
The general rule for canine water intake is roughly an ounce of water per pound of body weight per day, meaning a 20-pound dog would need 20 ounces of water per day or roughly 2 cups. Dehydrated skin and fur are one of the major causes of hair loss in canines, so making sure your dog is hydrated should result in less loose pet hair around the house!
Consider an Omega 3 and Omega 6 Shedding Supplement
While ensuring your dog has a healthy and nutritious diet should always be your number one concern, supplements can be beneficial. As you will learn in the next segment, essential fatty acids, like omega-3 and omega-6, can improve the overall health and condition of the coat and skin. When a dog receives enough of these healthy fats, they tend to have a much healthier coat, which means they will be far less prone to excessive shedding.
Again, you should choose a type of dog food that contains these healthy fats, but there is nothing wrong with adding an omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acid supplement to your dog’s diet if you believe they require more. In most cases, the double-coated dogs that have more than one layer of fur tend to benefit from these supplements the most!
Make Sure Your Dog is on an Appropriate Flea and Tick Medication
Not only are fleas and ticks annoying for your pooch, but they also cause serious skin irritation. When the dog scratches and licks their inflamed and irritated skin, they shed far more than they would under normal circumstances.
If you are unsure about what type of flea or tick prevention you should use on your dog, you should speak with your veterinarian about your options. They can recommend a product that will help protect your pooch from these potentially dangerous critters.
Make Sure Your Pooch Gets Enough Exercise Each Day
While exercise might not directly reduce shedding, it will improve the dog’s overall health, which will lead to a stronger and healthier coat. Proper exercise can also reduce your dog’s anxiety and stress. Stress and anxiety are both known to be major contributors to hair loss and excess shedding.
If you are unsure how much exercise your specific dog needs, speak with your veterinarian. They can develop a daily exercise routine that is both breed and life-stage appropriate for your furry friend!
How Can the Right Food Reduce Your Dog’s Shedding?
While the tips and tricks outlined above are important for improving your dog’s overall health and reducing their shedding, there is no substitute for a healthy and nutritious diet. No specific type of dog food will eliminate shedding, but the right food can help improve your dog’s overall health, which means their coat will be much healthier and far less prone to heavy shedding.
Healthy dogs tend to shed far less than malnourished and unhealthy pooches. A food formulated to reduce shedding will also contain vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats that improve coat quality and lessen premature hair loss, which means the dog will shed less per day.
Rather than packing the food with empty calories and unhealthy fillers, these high-quality dog foods have essential nutrients, like omega-3, vitamin E, calcium, and much more. They also tend to contain fewer potential allergens, so your dog should scratch less, which can also reduce shedding.
This leads us to our top picks for the best dog foods for shedding.
The Top 6 Dog Foods for Shedding
Below, you will find our top picks for the best dog foods for shedding. We chose each of these dog food blends because they can help reduce the severity of the shedding while simultaneously providing your dog with all of the nutrients and calories they need to live a healthy life:
- Best Overall Option – Hill’s Science Diet – Dry Adult Dog Food for Sensitive Stomach and Skin
- The Runner Up – AvoDerm – Natural Dry & Wet Dog Food for Skin and Coat
- Best for Allergy-Prone Dogs – Diamond Naturals – Dry Adult Dog Food for Skin and Coat Health
- Best Budget-Friendly Option – Purina – Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach Adult Dry Dog Food
- Best for Dogs with Joint Issues – Canidae – Pure Limited Ingredient Premium Adult Dog Food
- Best for Small Breeds – Purina – Beyond Natural Adult Dry Dog Food Superfood Blend
Reviews of the 6 Best Dog Foods for Shedding
Now that you know how to cut down on your dog’s shedding and why diet is so important for reducing hair loss, we can go over our reviews of the best options on the market today.
We chose each of the following products because they help strengthen the coat and cut down on shedding. They are also healthy and balanced for the unique needs of the canine digestive system, so your dog will receive all of the nutrients it requires to live a happy and healthy life!
1. Best Overall Option – Hill’s Science Diet – Dry Adult Dog Food for Sensitive Stomach and Skin
Hill’s Science Diet is regarded as one of the best dog food brands in the world. As the name suggests, all its dog food blends are scientifically formulated to meet the exact nutrient requirements of various types of dogs. This particular formula meets the unique dietary requirements of dogs that are prone to skin and coat issues or that have a sensitive stomach or specific food sensitivity.
This food is highly digestible, so your dog can absorb the nutrients it needs from the food. It’s also packed with vitamin E for skin health. Given that healthy skin tends to shed less fur, this can help cut down on the amount of fur your pooch sheds per day.
It also contains a high volume of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which are critical for healthy skin and a strong coat. These essential healthy fats restore moisture and shine to the coat, so your dog will shed far less than it did before you started feeding it this unique dog food.
Not only will this food help reduce your dog’s shedding, but it is also packed with healthy and natural ingredients, so it will provide your dog with everything it needs to live a happy and healthy life. We also really liked that they packed the dry kibble with prebiotic fiber, making them beneficial for balancing your dog’s gut microbiome. Again, a healthy digestive system can do wonders for your dog’s overall health, so the prebiotic fiber can indirectly reduce your dog’s shedding.
- Formulated by professional veterinarians and animal nutritionists, which is part of the reason why Hill’s Science Diet is recommended by veterinarians everywhere
- Made in the United States from natural ingredients
- Does not contain any of the common allergens and additives that you find in lower quality dog foods
- Packed with prebiotic fiber, which is important for digestive system function and health
- Contains added vitamin E, omega-3, and other ingredients that help nourish the coat and skin
- Packed with protein sourced from real chicken meat
- Partial proceeds from every purchase go to support animal shelters that are in desperate need of additional funding
2. The Runner Up – AvoDerm – Natural Dry & Wet Dog Food for Skin and Coat
AvoDerm is one of the lesser-known dog food manufacturers, but its high-quality natural dry dog food blends have gained a dedicated following. This particular blend combines dry kibbles with partially wet chunks to create highly nutritious dog food that your pooch will find irresistible.
Given that this dog food is formulated to improve the condition and health of both the skin and the coat, it is no surprise that it has ended up on our list of the best dog foods for shedding. Each serving has omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids sourced from real avocados. These healthy fats help improve the condition of the skin and reduce inflammation. The oils also help nourish the coat from the inside, so your dog will be far less prone to excess shedding.
The food also contains digestible protein sourced from real chicken. This is also useful for growing strong hair that will be far less likely to shed prematurely. We also liked that this dog food blend is free from many common allergens known to cause itchy skin, like corn and soy.
Added antioxidants from natural sources also help to strengthen the immune system, which is critical for your dog’s overall health, especially as it approaches its senior life stage. If you are looking for high-quality dog food that will help address your dog’s shedding issue at the source, this healthy blend from AvoDerm might be just what you are looking for!
- All of AvoDerm’s dog foods have been proudly made in the United States since 1955
- Contains essential vitamins and minerals that help strengthen the coat
- Rich in omega fatty acids that are sourced from ripe avocados
- Free from common food allergens, like soy, legumes, corn, and wheat
- Specifically formulated to improve the overall health and appearance of your dog’s coat, which means the food can help reduce shedding
- Contains natural sources of antioxidants, which is important for immune system function
3. Best for Allergy-Prone Dogs – Diamond Naturals – Dry Adult Dog Food for Skin and Coat Health
This nutritious dog food from Diamond Naturals is an excellent option if your dog is susceptible to food allergies. One of the most common food-based allergens is poultry, as it often inflames the skin and causes itchiness. When dogs itch their skin, the scratching can cause premature shedding. Thankfully, this unique dog food blend uses real salmon meat rather than poultry as the primary protein source. This means it will be far less likely to trigger your dog’s food allergies than other types of dog food.
Not only is it made from salmon meat, but it is also fortified with a wide range of important vitamins and minerals. These essential nutrients come from real superfoods, like blueberries, yams, and more. Making sure your dog receives all of the nutrients it needs from its food is one of the most effective ways to improve the health of its skin and coat, which will help with shedding.
It is also grain-free and packed with a highly digestible amino acid profile which helps to build and preserve lean muscle mass. If you have an active breed, this is of critical importance.
This dry food is also rich in prebiotic fiber, as well as live probiotic microorganisms that are guaranteed to survive inside your dog’s digestive tract. This helps with digestive system health and improves your dog’s ability to absorb the nutrients within its food.
We also liked that Diamond Naturals uses a textured surface for the kibbles, as that means they help to scrape plaque and tartar from the teeth as the dog chews. Dental health is important for your dog, and it is a real benefit to choose food that cleans the teeth during each meal. Overall, this is an outstanding dog food that we highly recommend for allergy-prone dogs that suffer from excess shedding!
- Made in the United States from sustainable and natural ingredients
- Made without corn, wheat, artificial flavors, unnatural preservatives, and other common allergens
- The primary protein source is real salmon meat, which means it is highly digestible and will not trigger any poultry allergies
- Contains prebiotic fiber and live probiotic organisms beneficial for the canine digestive system
- Packed with antioxidants that come from ethically sourced superfoods, which means it is beneficial for your dog’s immune system
- Contains plenty of healthy fats, which are helpful for the coat and skin
4. Best Budget-Friendly Option – Purina – Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach Adult Dry Dog Food
If you are on a tight budget or own multiple dogs and find dog food is becoming a major expense, this Sensitive Skin & Stomach Adult Dry Dog Food from Purina is an excellent option. Purina Pro Plan is Purina’s premium line of dog food, so it is no wonder that this blend is made to such a high standard. Despite its quality, this blend is surprisingly affordable!
Not only is it priced fairly, but it is also extremely effective at reducing shedding and skin inflammation. It is free from common canine food allergens, like poultry, preservatives, and unnatural fillers.
The primary protein source is real salmon meat, which is highly digestible and less likely to trigger an allergic reaction than chicken, turkey, or duck meat. It also contains oats, which are proven to ease digestion and ensure the food is gentle on the dog’s stomach. As with all of the Purina Pro Plan dog foods, it is also fortified with live probiotics and plenty of prebiotic fiber, so it will help with nutrient absorption and the overall health of your dog’s digestive system.
Not only is the primary protein source incredibly healthy and digestible, but this blend also contains a higher volume of protein than standard dog food, which means it is great for active dog breeds. The extra protein also helps with the growth of strong and healthy fur, so your dog’s coat will be far less susceptible to premature shedding.
Overall, this is outstanding dog food for shedding, and, surprisingly, it is available at a budget-friendly price!
- Fortified with guaranteed live probiotics for digestive and immune system health
- Real salmon meat is the primary protein, so your dog will not suffer from itchy skin if it has a poultry sensitivity
- Contains rice and oats, which are beneficial for the stomach
- High protein formula is really helpful for building strong and lean muscle mass
- Available at a budget-friendly price
- Omega fatty acid sourced from sunflower oil is added to the kibbles to help promote healthy skin and coat, cutting down on shedding
5. Best for Dogs with Joint Issues – Canidae – Pure Limited Ingredient Premium Adult Dog Food
This unique dog food formula from Canidae helps ease joint pain and reduce shedding. To achieve this, Canidae packed it with highly digestible proteins. The protein mostly comes from wild boar meat and garbanzo beans, so it is easy for your dog’s digestive system to break down and absorb.
As with all of the brand’s dog food blends, this recipe uses a limited number of ingredients, which means it will be far less likely to trigger a food allergy. Since food allergies are one of the most common causes of excess shedding, this is a really important benefit.
It includes added antioxidants that are beneficial for your dog’s immune system. Probiotic organisms and prebiotic fiber are also important for supporting a healthy digestive system. A unique blend of vitamins and minerals also helps support the joints, skin, and coat. Canidae fortified this dog food with glucosamine, which is important if your dog experiences joint pain or discomfort.
Not only is this dog food incredibly healthy, but dogs also find the natural taste and smell irresistible. If your pooch is a picky eater, try this Pure Limited Ingredient blend, as they will probably find it tasty. Overall, it is a great option for any dog that suffers from joint issues and excess shedding!
- Rich in healthy and highly digestible proteins, which is important for supporting healthy muscles and a strong coat
- Grain-free so it is far less likely to trigger a food allergy than lower quality dog food blends
- Has a natural and meaty taste that dogs find appealing
- Dry kibbles have a textured surface that helps to clean the teeth as the dog chews
- Limited number of ingredients means a reduced chance that it will trigger a food allergy
- Unique blend of healthy fats, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that helps support healthy joints
- Free from corn, soy, wheat, harmful preservatives, colorants, and artificial flavors.
6. Best for Small Breeds – Purina – Beyond Natural Adult Dry Dog Food Superfood Blend
If you are looking for a healthy dog food that can help control your small breed dog’s shedding, we highly recommend looking at this unique formula from Purina. It uses the highest quality ingredients and all of the vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats your little pooch needs to grow healthy and strong fur.
Each serving contains over 2,000mg of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which is incredibly beneficial for supporting healthy skin and a strong coat. The primary protein source is real wild-caught salmon, which is easy for your dog to digest and will not trigger a poultry allergy.
It also contains other superfood ingredients, like egg, pumpkin seeds, and more. This further enhances the overall effectiveness of this high-quality dog food. While it is a little bit more expensive than the other options on our list, the fact that it uses the highest quality ingredients possible means it is more than worth the price.
- Limited ingredient formula, which means it does not contain corn, wheat, soy, poultry, or meat by-products. It is also free from artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives
- Incredibly rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which help strengthen the coat and reduce the frequency of shedding
- Rich in antioxidants so it will help strengthen the immune system
- Dry and textured kibbles offer a satisfying crunch and help to clean your dog’s teeth as it chews
I grew up in a household that was filled with animals. I believe that my fate as a dog-loving person was sealed in early childhood since my parents owned several dogs of varying sizes and breeds. There was no choice but to take care of and learn about dog habits and the best animal care practices — otherwise, I’d be clueless about how to go about the creatures I was surrounded by day and night.
As a life-long puppy lover, I know a thing or two about dogs and how to go about caring for them in the best way possible. Although I’m not a professionally trained dog behaviorist, trainer, or veterinarian, all of my knowledge and experience with canines comes from a place of love and a deep-rooted passion for dogs and animals in general.
Seeing as dogs kept me company throughout every stage of my life, I decided to follow a different path in my academic life and obtained a Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Marketing Management and Digital Advertising, which ultimately allowed me to combine my professional training and personal experience by creating the ultimate dog lover’s resource website! Along with my husband, Dave, I run MySweetPuppy for like-minded dog lovers who want to have a single, clear, and reliable information source about anything and everything related to dogs and their well-being.