For many reasons, Poodles and Poodle mixes are amongst the most popular types of dogs out there. They are a distinct intelligent breed that has plenty of admirable qualities.
Today, there are three main types of Poodles: Toy Poodles, Miniature Poodles, and Standard Poodles. They all range in size and body weight but tend to have similar temperaments. If you are one of the many proud Poodle parents out there, you are probably wondering what the best dog food for Poodles is.
Luckily, we are here to help! Not only will we go over some of the best dog food for Poodles, but we will also explain why they have such unique and demanding dietary requirements. This will help you and other dog owners find food that is both nutritious and balanced so your Poodle will have all the right fuel it needs to live a happy and healthy life!
- Things to Keep in Mind When Choosing Food for a Poodle
- How Much Food Does Each Type of Poodle Need Per Meal?
- Our Top 6 Dog Foods for Poodles
- Best Dog Food for Poodles Reviews
- 1. The Best Overall – Royal Canin – Adult Poodle Breed Specific Dry Dog Food
- 2. The Runner Up – Hill’s Science Diet – Adult Chicken & Barley Dry Dog Food
- 3. Best for Poodles with Sensitive Stomachs – Purina – Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach Adult Large Breed
- 4. Best Grain-Free Poodle Dog Food – Natural Balance – Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food
- 5. Best Budget-Friendly Option – Pedigree – Adult Steak & Vegetable Dry Dog Food
- 6. Best for Aging Poodles – Blue Buffalo – Life Protection Formula Adult Dry Dog Food
Things to Keep in Mind When Choosing Food for a Poodle
Poodles are a very unique breed that has unique dietary requirements. To simplify things, we will explain some important factors you should consider when choosing dog food for Poodles.
The following are just some of the important factors you should take into consideration:
- Avoid artificial flavors and colorants as Poodles, like many other breeds, are susceptible to a variety of neurological disorders that can be triggered and worsened by the presence of harmful additives in their food. Many Poodle parents find that their dog suffers from insomnia when they eat dog food that contains a high volume of artificial flavors, scents, and colorants.
- Look for high-quality protein sources, rather than things like chicken by-product meal and highly processed plant proteins, like soy. Poodles are considered an active, high-energy breed, which means they need a large volume of high-quality proteins and a well-balanced diet to support their lifestyle, lean muscles, and joints. You will find that your dog is much more energetic if you choose a type of dog food that contains real meat.
- Avoid fillers and empty calories. Like most breeds, Poodles can suffer from obesity when given a diet filled with low-quality fillers, sugars, and other empty calories. You want the dog food you give your Poodle, whether it’s wet dog food, dry food, puppy food, or senior dog food, to be highly nutritious and made from the highest quality ingredients possible.
- If you find that your Poodle has a sensitive stomach or suffers from food-related allergies, you might want to avoid dog foods loaded with grains. Grains are known to upset the stomachs of certain dogs, so grain-free dry dog food might be a good choice for your Poodle’s diet.
- Always look for 100% natural ingredients, as these will be easier for your dog’s digestive system to process. When we compiled our list of the best dog foods for Poodles, we only highlighted dog foods made from all-natural ingredients that the canine digestive system can handle.
- Look for a balanced food rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and plenty of dietary fiber. This will help preserve your dog’s long- and short-term health. Not only will it help your dog absorb what it needs from the food, but it will also help strengthen your dog’s immune system, which means they will be far less likely to get sick.
- Look for ingredients that can help improve your dog’s joint health. Poodles are susceptible to hip and elbow issues, specifically hip and elbow dysplasia. Glucosamine, chondroitin, omega fatty acids, and probiotics will all help protect your dog’s joints, especially as it ages.
How Much Food Does Each Type of Poodle Need Per Meal?
As mentioned, Poodles come in three distinct varieties. Given that each type of Poodle is very different in size and energy level, it is important to feed them appropriately. While they can usually eat the same type of dog food, feeding them appropriate portions and calories is critical.
Toy Poodles are considered purse or toy breeds, which means they are amongst the smallest dog breeds you will find anywhere. On average, Toy Poodles weigh between 6 and 9 lbs, and they only reach an adult height of about 10 inches.
Due to their small stature, an adult Toy Poodle will only need about 300 calories per day. For older and less active Toy Poodles, that calorie count can even drop to 240 calories per day! The most energetic of Toy Poodles can require a bit more, so closer to 450 calories might be sufficient.
While these types of Poodles are still very small, they are larger than Toy Poodles. On average, an adult Miniature Poodle will weigh somewhere between 15 and 18 lbs. They usually stand taller than a Toy Poodle, reach a height of about 15 inches, and are considered a small breed.
Given their larger size and more active lifestyle, Miniature Poodle dogs tend to need about 500 calories per day. As this small breed ages and becomes less active, that calorie count can drop down to about 400 calories. Poodle owners with an extremely active Miniature Poodle that spends a significant amount of time running and playing may need to increase the calorie count to about 750 calories per day.
When most people imagine a Poodle, they picture a Standard Poodle. They are the largest class of Poodle, and an adult dog usually weighs somewhere in the range of 50 to 75 lbs, so this is a relatively large breed. When they are fully grown, they reach a height of about 23 inches, which is more than double the height of the smaller varieties!
Given that these dogs are quite large and tend to be a very energetic breed, your Standard Poodle will need over 1,000 calories per day. An average Standard Poodle will need about 1,250 calories per day to stay healthy, while less active and older Standard Poodles can get away with about 1,000 calories.
If you have an energetic Standard Poodle or one of the many Poodles that participate in shows and obstacle course competitions, you can feed it closer to 2,000 calories!
Our Top 6 Dog Foods for Poodles
Now that you know more about the dietary requirements of Poodles, we can get into our recommendations for the best dog food for the breed. We chose each of our selections because they are made from high-quality ingredients and offer the balanced diet Poodles need to live healthy lives.
- The Best Overall – Royal Canin – Adult Poodle Breed Specific Dry Dog Food
- The Runner Up – Hill’s Science Diet – Adult Chicken & Barley Dry Dog Food
- Best for Poodles with Sensitive Stomachs – Purina – Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach Adult Large Breed
- Best Grain-Free Poodle Dog Food – Natural Balance – Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food
- Best Budget-Friendly Option – Pedigree – Adult Steak & Vegetable Dry Dog Food
- Best for Aging Poodles – Blue Buffalo – Life Protection Formula Adult Dry Dog Food
Best Dog Food for Poodles Reviews
When we reviewed each of these Poodle-friendly dog food blends, we made sure we considered a wide variety of factors. Everything from price to essential nutrient profile was important to us. Choosing the right dog food can be tough, which is why we put in the effort to ensure we only recommended high-quality dog food blends that are appropriate for adult Poodles!
1. The Best Overall – Royal Canin – Adult Poodle Breed Specific Dry Dog Food
Royal Canin has an excellent reputation for making some of the highest quality dog food on the market. It hires an outstanding team of animal nutritionists and professional veterinarians to make sure each of its dog food blends is balanced for the exact requirements of various types of canines.
This Adult Poodle Breed Specific Dry Dog Food is no exception and certainly lives up to the high standards we have come to expect from the Royal Canin brand. It was specifically formulated for purebred Poodles over the age of 10 months, which means it has everything a Poodle needs to live a healthy life.
The kibbles are designed to be easy for Poodles to pick up and chew. They also have a hard, textured surface, which helps scrape and clean the teeth as the Poodle chews. Given that Poodles are susceptible to various dental issues, it makes a really important difference to choose a food that helps scrape plaque and tartar from the surface of the teeth.
The food also helps support a Poodle’s unique, curly coat, as it contains EPA and DHA fatty acids derived from fish oils. It also has the exact protein content that Poodles need for healthy muscles, joints, and skin. Like other breeds, Poodles are also susceptible to various degenerative conditions as they age, which is why Royal Canin made sure this healthy aging formula contains a unique essential nutrient blend for supporting vitality and a long lifespan.
Overall, this is an outstanding type of dog food for Poodles from a company that has a well-earned reputation for making some of the most nutritious and balanced dog foods on the market today!
- Uniquely shaped dry kibble is the ideal size for Poodles and also helps to clean the teeth as the dog chews
- Free from artificial flavors, colorants, and scents
- Contains healthy oils and fatty acids for joint support, as well as healthy skin and coat
- Specifically formulated for Poodles, meaning it contains the exact nutrient blend they need for a healthy and lengthy life
- Precise protein content for maintaining muscle tone
2. The Runner Up – Hill’s Science Diet – Adult Chicken & Barley Dry Dog Food
Hills Science Diet is another dog food manufacturer with an outstanding reputation for quality. As the name suggests, the brand focuses on scientifically formulating its dog food blends to meet the exact dietary requirements of different types of dogs and various life stages.
This particular blend is ideal for Poodles between 1 and 6 years of age. During this adult life stage, Poodles need a specific type of food, as it tends to be the most energetic period of their life. Luckily, this blend contains plenty of highly digestible ingredients and a perfect nutrient profile for medium to large-sized breeds, like Standard Poodles.
It uses natural ingredients chosen because they are easier for the canine digestive system to break down and absorb. Not only does it help support your energetic Poodle’s lifestyle, but it also contains a variety of added vitamins and minerals. For example, each serving packs omega-6 fatty acids and vitamin E, which is why it is beneficial for the coat and skin.
High-quality animal protein sources, like real chicken, help support the formation and preservation of lean muscle mass. Each cup contains 365 calories, which means portion control is incredibly easy.
The kibbles have a textured surface, which helps to clean the teeth and gums. The kibbles are also packed with natural fibers, which helps promote healthy digestion and ensures your dog feels satisfied after each meal. As with all of the Hill’s Science Diet dog food blends, this food is made in the United States from only the highest quality ingredients. Overall, it is an outstanding option for any adult Poodle.
- High-quality protein sources help support lean muscles and an energetic lifestyle
- Formulated for the exact nutritional needs of adult Poodles and other large breeds
- Vitamin E and omega fatty acids help maintain healthy skin and coat
- Packed with natural fiber, which is beneficial for digestion
- Number one veterinarian-recommended dog food in North America
- Textured kibbles clean the teeth and offer a satisfying crunch that dogs love
3. Best for Poodles with Sensitive Stomachs – Purina – Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach Adult Large Breed
Given that Poodles have a heightened risk of developing stomach and skin issues, it only makes sense to highlight a Poodle-friendly dog food designed for dogs with sensitive stomachs. Not only is this blend ideal for Poodles that suffer from skin and stomach issues, but Pro Plan is also considered Purina’s premium line of dog food, so it uses the highest quality ingredients.
To ensure that this food is easier on the dog’s stomach, it uses real salmon meat as the primary ingredient and protein source. Plenty of dogs are sensitive to poultry, so it is far less likely that a fish-based protein source will trigger an allergic reaction. It also contains oatmeal, which is much easier to digest than other types of plant fiber. Oatmeal is gentle on the stomach and packed with useful nutrients.
To help aid healthy digestion and nutrient absorption, this formula has live probiotics and plenty of prebiotic fiber. These microorganisms help strengthen the digestive system and protect the digestive tract from infections and other issues.
While the main selling point for this formula is that it contains high-quality ingredients that are easy to digest, we also love the absence of harmful ingredients that makes it easier on the stomach and skin than other types of dog food. For example, this blend is completely free from corn, wheat, soy, artificial colors, poultry, meat by-products, and harmful preservatives!
Whether your dog currently suffers from stomach issues and itchy skin, or you want to prevent this from occurring in the first place, Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach is outstanding dog food for your adult Poodle.
- Real salmon meat is the number one ingredient, so the food is packed with digestible protein and healthy fatty acids
- Contains barley and oats, which nourish the stomach and help increase the fiber content of the dog food
- Loaded with live probiotics and plenty of prebiotic fiber, which aids with digestion and the overall strength of the dog’s immune system
- The dry kibbles have a textured surface, which helps scrape plaque from the dog’s teeth
- Rich in omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acid, which means it is beneficial for your Poodle’s coat and skin
- Made in the United States in Purina’s modern manufacturing facility
4. Best Grain-Free Poodle Dog Food – Natural Balance – Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food
As mentioned previously, many Poodles struggle with dog food with high volumes of grains. If you are looking for grain-free dog food for your Poodle, this Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food from Natural Balance is a great option.
The primary protein source is real salmon meat, so it will not trigger a poultry allergy. The secondary ingredient is sweet potatoes, which are far less harsh on the stomach and lower digestive tract than grains. Given that the primary protein source is salmon meat, this food is also packed with essential fatty acids, which are critical for brain development, joint health, and maintaining healthy skin.
The kibbles are smaller than a conventional dry kibble, so the food is a practical option for the smaller Poodle varieties and Standard Poodles. They also have a textured surface, so like the other foods on our list, they help clean the teeth as your dog chews.
One of the unique things we like about the Natural Balance brand is that all of its foods are developed by a team of veterinarians and nutritionists. Its satisfaction guarantee means that buyers have access to a customer service team made of registered veterinary technicians! So, if you ever have any questions about the food, you will be able to speak with a qualified professional right away. If you do not like the food for any reason, it is also backed by a 100% money-back guarantee!
- Made with real salmon meat as the primary ingredient, so the food is packed with all of the protein and healthy fats Poodles need
- Sweet potatoes offer a gluten-free source of fiber, which helps support your dog’s digestive health without triggering grain-related allergies
- Sunflower oil is added to the food to increase the omega-6 fatty acid content, which is beneficial for your dog’s skin and coat
- Satisfaction guarantee ensures you will not be disappointed with the product and the customer service line is staffed by professionals that are qualified to discuss pet nutrition
- Free from fillers and meat by-products, as well as artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives
5. Best Budget-Friendly Option – Pedigree – Adult Steak & Vegetable Dry Dog Food
If you are looking for healthy dog food that is affordable and appropriate for an adult Poodle, look no further than Pedigree’s Adult Steak & Vegetable Dry Dog Food. Pedigree has always had a reputation for budget-friendly prices and nutritious dog foods, and this blend is certainly no exception.
Given that the primary protein source is grilled steak meat, it should not trigger any of your Poodle’s stomach issues or food allergies. The steak and vegetable flavor is also really appealing to dogs, so do not be surprised if your Poodle’s tail starts wagging when you fill its bowl.
It is also loaded with antioxidants that strengthen the immune system and decrease inflammation, which can reduce your dog’s chances of developing a wide range of dangerous health conditions. A carefully selected vitamin and mineral blend added to the food increases the nutrient content and ensures the food is extremely beneficial for your dog’s overall health.
A unique grain blend helps increase the amount of dietary fiber in the food. This is important for digestion and nutrient absorption. Pedigree also loaded this blend with omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which both help nourish the skin and protect your Poodle’s coat.
For extra value, Pedigree added a free 20% of extra food to this bag, so customers will see the savings! If you are on a tight budget or have more than one dog and dog food costs are starting to spiral out of control, you cannot go wrong with this affordable yet nutritious dog food.
- Budget-friendly price and includes an extra 20% worth of bonus kibbles, so the bag will last even longer
- Packed with protein that is sourced primarily from beef, which means it is less likely to trigger a food allergy than a poultry-based dog food
- Made in the United States with high-quality ingredients
- Packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, so your Poodle will receive a nutrient-packed meal every time you fill their bowl
- Does not contain high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors, or added sugars
- Dry kibbles help clean the teeth and gums, which is important for long-term dental health
6. Best for Aging Poodles – Blue Buffalo – Life Protection Formula Adult Dry Dog Food
As dogs age, they begin to lose muscle mass and their joints deteriorate. This is particularly true for Poodles, as they are prone to a variety of degenerative health issues. That’s why it is so important to choose a dog food that is packed with the nutrients they require to age gracefully.
This Life Protection Formula from Blue Buffalo has all of the quality ingredients your Poodle’s body needs as it approaches its senior life stage. It is incredibly rich in antioxidants, which are important for proper immune system function. It also contains a holistic blend of vitamins and minerals, so your dog can continue to remain active during the later stages of life.
A proper balance of protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats will also make sure that your Poodle can remain active. Essential fatty acids are also really important for maintaining healthy skin and a shiny coat. We like that this dog food is free from poultry by-products, wheat, soy, artificial flavors, and harmful preservatives. It is far less likely to trigger an allergic response than lower-quality dog food.
If your Poodle is approaching its senior years and you want to make sure they age healthily, this Life Protection Formula for adult dogs is a great choice. With that said, if you have a senior poodle, it is recommended that you switch them to senior-specific dog food.
- Added calcium for maintaining healthy and strong bones
- Essential fatty acids for healthy skin and a shiny coat
- Antioxidants help with immune system health and can help your dog fight a wide variety of degenerative health conditions
- Balanced levels of protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats
- Does not contain harmful ingredients or common food allergens, like soy, wheat, and corn
- Dry and textured kibbles are beneficial for preserving healthy teeth
- Resealable packaging ensures that the dog food remains fresh until the bag is finished
- Unique ‘LifeSource Bits’ contain all of the antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals required for a healthy life
I grew up in a household that was filled with animals. I believe that my fate as a dog-loving person was sealed in early childhood since my parents owned several dogs of varying sizes and breeds. There was no choice but to take care of and learn about dog habits and the best animal care practices — otherwise, I’d be clueless about how to go about the creatures I was surrounded by day and night.
As a life-long puppy lover, I know a thing or two about dogs and how to go about caring for them in the best way possible. Although I’m not a professionally trained dog behaviorist, trainer, or veterinarian, all of my knowledge and experience with canines comes from a place of love and a deep-rooted passion for dogs and animals in general.
Seeing as dogs kept me company throughout every stage of my life, I decided to follow a different path in my academic life and obtained a Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Marketing Management and Digital Advertising, which ultimately allowed me to combine my professional training and personal experience by creating the ultimate dog lover’s resource website! Along with my husband, Dave, I run MySweetPuppy for like-minded dog lovers who want to have a single, clear, and reliable information source about anything and everything related to dogs and their well-being.