Choosing the best dog food for your beloved canine companion can be a difficult feat and you probably feel tons of pressure to get it just right. Not only do you have to find a dog food that contains ingredients that are great for your dog’s physical health and development, you need a food that provides flavor your dog will love. Because dogs can be as picky as humans (and sometimes far pickier), it can really be time-consuming. You want to give your four-legged friend the absolute best—that’s why you’re here. So, listen up: 4health dog food is a wholesome, nutritious option with so many formulas, you’re sure to find on your dog will love. Plus, they make food for every dog, meaning small dogs, large dogs, old dogs, and even some of the best puppy food you could ask for.
4health is a privately-owned pet food manufacturer that supplies for the Tractor Supply Company. Because of its privately owned status, this dog food can be a lot trickier to find, but don't let that stop you from seeking out its nutritional goodness. We put 4health pretty high on our list of favorite dog food and for many reasons. If you’re skeptical, read below to find out why we favor 4health dog food so much, as well as to read reviews on our favorite 4health products.
4health Offers Variety like no Other
4health has well over 20 different formulas, including wet and dry dog food as well as dog treats and snacks, all of which meet top-of-the-line health standards that will help keep your dog healthy and strong. According to the 4health company, their food is free of dyes, artificial flavors, and poultry by-product meal. They also offer grain-free varieties for dogs that have trouble digesting grains like corn, wheat, soy, and rice. The 4health wet and dry dog food formulas include fresh, quality ingredients that produce a top-of-the-line premium product for your pup.
4health separates their dog food formulas into four categories, including:
- Original: This line of dog food is soy, wheat, and corn-free, contains meat as the first ingredient, and has age-specific and weight control formulas. These recipes are great for dogs of any age and size that suffer from no other health issues, such as food allergies or sensitive tummies.
- Grain-Free: The 4health Grain-Free line of dog food is free of soy, wheat, corn, and all other grains, contains meat as the first ingredient, and includes age-specific formulas, so it is great for any dog with a grain allergy.
- Special Care: The Special Care formulas are free of all grains, include weight control options, and are all produced from a limited ingredients list, so they work well for dogs with certain food allergies.
- Untamed: The Untamed formulas are all completely grain-free and contain meat as the first ingredient. They also stick to a limited formula that contains more peculiar protein options, which are meant to more closely replicate the dog’s natural diet.
There is likely to be a formula tailored to your dog, including recipes made specifically for puppies, recipes for small breed dogs, and some for larger dogs. You can also find more specific formulas, like recipes tailored to dogs over seven years of age and large breed dogs with active lifestyles. You can also find a performance formula and a formula for helping dogs maintain a healthy weight, as well as many other tailor-made dog food formulas. 4health offers a dog food, wet and dry, for dogs of every stature, age, breed, and lifestyle, so it will be easy for you to find one that fits the needs of you and your little furry friend.
A Look at Common Ingredients
4health uses a wide variety of fresh, wholesome foods in their premium formulas. If you’re having a hard time picking what’s best, here’s a little nutrition guide:
- Chicken: Chicken is a popular source of protein for premium dog foods and can provide plenty of animal protein as well as niacin, riboflavin, and vitamin B6.
- Beef: Not only do dogs love the flavor of beef, but it pumps them full of iron, niacin, zinc, and vitamin B6. Beef also contains Conjugated Linoleic Acid, which helps your pup maintain a healthy weight and can be beneficial for weight loss in dog’s that are overweight.
- Turkey: Turkey is a natural pretty for some wild dogs and contains plenty of iron, potassium, and B vitamins.
- White Fish: This quality source of animal protein is low in fat and high in Omega fatty acids and vitamin D.
- Lamb: Lamb is another lean meat that, like beef, contains a good amount of Conjugated Linoleic Acid, so it is often used in weight loss formulas.
- Salmon: Salmon is a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids, phosphorous, vitamin B, and vitamin B3.
- Potatoes: Potatoes serve as a carbohydrate option to replace grains in grain-free dog food formulas.
- Sweet Potatoes: According to many researchers, sweet potatoes are safe and healthy for dogs and can provide health benefits in abundance, as well as a naturally sweet flavor that any dog will love. Sweet potatoes are high in fiber but low in fat and have plenty of vitamin C, vitamin B6, and manganese.
- Peas: Peas contain plenty of vitamin K, manganese, iron, and dietary fiber. They are a low-glycemic carbohydrate, so they are considered a healthy alternative to other high-glycemic alternatives.
- Carrots: Carrots are a great source of vitamins and minerals like vitamin K, potassium, fiber, and antioxidants. Carrots also contain high levels of beta-carotene, which supports healthy eyesight.
4health formulates each recipe to include plenty of natural probiotics and antioxidants to support a strong immune system and aid in smooth digestion.
Extra Snacks for an Extra Healthy (and Happy) Pup
We mentioned that 4health had a line of treats and snacks for your dog, but did we mention that they are all tailor-made as well? In fact, 4health has created four entire lines of wholesome, nutritious snacks, and treats that help fight common conditions, such as the Hip and Joint Dog Biscuits, and formulas that are meant to upkeep doggie hygiene, like the Dental Care Biscuits or the Skin and Coat Dog Treats. Other treats are made to give a general development boost to puppies and adult dogs, like the Adult Health and Wellness Dog Treats or the Puppy Growth and Development Dog Treats. Like their healthy dog food formulas, these treats and snacks have no added artificial colors or flavors and contain wholesome, fresh, and healthy ingredients that your dog is sure to love. The four dog treat lines include:
- Dental Bones: This line is formulated specifically to help upkeep doggie’s dental hygiene. These bones are made from ingredients like rice flour, fennel, dill, parsley, and peppermint, which help keep your dog’s breath fresh.
- Home Style: These treats are great for training your pup. They all include real meat ingredients, such as real beef, chicken, or salmon. There's a variety of snacks, too, like strips, meatballs, chewy bars, and grain-free biscuits.
- Special Care: This line includes biscuits and jerky full of Omega fatty acids and easily digested ingredients so they are great for dogs with stomach sensitivities and older dogs.
- Untamed: These snacks include proteins dogs naturally crave, like salmon, lamb, turkey, and duck. They are also full of nutrients and dietary fiber due to the garbanzo beans and sweet potatoes.
This quality dog food from the 4health Original line is formulated for dogs over seven years of age. The first ingredient is real lamb meat, followed by lamb meal. This high-quality animal protein also contains Conjugated Linoleic Acid to help support a healthy weight, as well as amino acids that help the healing process and result in a healthy coat and skin. Because this formula was made specifically with older dogs in mind, developers went out of the way to include glucosamine and chondroitin, which help reduce pain due to arthritis and maintain joint flexibility.
Other ingredients in this special recipe also contain foods like oatmeal. Whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, peas, apples, carrots, flaxseed, kelp, blueberries, and spinach.
This formula is perfect for older dogs with otherwise no health conditions.
This formula from the 4health Grain-Free dog food line is designed specifically to meet the nutritional needs of small breed dogs with no inclusion of any grain. The recipe contains real beer, as well as other healthy vegetables to round out the nutritional value in every serving, like lentils, peas, and garbanzo beans.
The small pieces are great for your small breed’s tiny mouth, and you’ll never find any corn, wheat, soy, or other grain allergens, so this is great for dogs that require a grain-free diet.
This dry food from the 4health Special Care line is formulated for adult dogs with sensitive skin. It is, as always, free of corn, soy, and wheat, but contains real salmon and salmon oil. The inclusion if this great source of Omega-3 fatty acids supports skin health and natural oil production, which can help control skin sensitivity and other skin related conditions.
The recipe also includes healthy foods like flaxseed, peas, and pea flour to add nutrients and make up for the carbohydrate content.
Just because your dog loves his cushy bed and doesn’t roam in the wild doesn’t mean he doesn't love wild flavors. This formula from the 4health Untamed line includes ingredients your dog will love, like wild boar, as well as healthy add-ins like lentils, peas, chickpeas, and sunflower oil. The recipe is made to replicate a diet similar to that of a wild dog, so you can help your dog get closer to nature from the comfort of your home.
This formula is great for any dog of any size or age and offers a delicious flavor even the pickiest dogs can’t turn down.
These delicious dog treats from their Homestyle line, which uses wholesome homestyle ingredients to create healthy snacks that can be used for training or just for showing your pup a little extra love. This recipe includes chicken as its main protein source and packs the benefits of sweet potatoes. Aside from adding a sweet flavor dogs can’t resist, sweet potatoes contain tons of vitamin C and makeup for most of the healthy, balanced carbohydrate content of these treats.
We know that you love your furry friends, so we know it’s important that you find a pet food company that loves them, too. 4health develops recipes for every dog, so it is easy to find a deliciously healthy 4health product that meets your pup’s needs. When you choose to feed your dog 4health Premium Dog Food, you are giving your dog everything it needs to stay healthy, grow strong, and live a long, happy life. Feel confident in this dog food brand’s balanced diet and added probiotics and antioxidants, and serve your dog a food they will never turn down.
This formula provides the nutrition needed by every dog and is appropriate for adult dogs and puppies too. The soft texture is easy for puppies to chew and the ingredients leave nothing to be desired. Your pup will enjoy the nutrition from ingredients like chicken, eggs, peas, and carrots. If you prefer feeding your pup wet food, whether for health reasons or due to its increased freshness, this 4health canned food offers premium nutrition in a flavor your dog will enjoy.