If you’re looking for a great dog food that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, you’ve probably heard of Kirkland dog food. And, if you’ve ever been to Costco, you’ve probably seen Kirkland dog food. While this dog food brand is the private label dog food for Costco, it’s available at several online retailers and customers seem to love it.
But how good is Kirkland brand dog food? Do they use high-quality ingredients? Are there any grain free options or anything organic? Should you use it for your pet? Let’s take a look at our Kirkland dog food review to find out.
- About the Brand
- Kirkland Dog Food Reviews
- What Dogs Should Eat Kirkland Dog Food?
- What Brands Should Not Eat Kirkland Dog Food?
- How Does Kirkland Dog Food Measure Up?
About the Brand
Before we get to our Kirkland dog food review, let’s take a closer look at the brand of dog food. Kirkland dog food is manufactured by Diamond Pet Foods, which is the manufacturer behind other popular brands, including Diamond Naturals and Taste of the Wild.
Kirkland is a unique dog food brand in that it doesn’t have a philosophy or a catchy slogan. You won’t see commercials for Kirkland dog food on TV, and it mostly flies under the radar as the bargain brand from Costco. That said, Diamond Pet Food strives to make premium dog food at an affordable price, and the Kirkland dog food brand is no exception. It’s highly recommended by the pet parents who use it. Let’s take a look at Kirkland’s extensive product line and see exactly what they have to offer.
Kirkland Dog Food Reviews
The Kirkland brand has a decent sized dog food line that consists of dry dog food, wet dog food, and treats. In this review, we’re going to take a look at each type of food separately, starting with dry dog food.
Kirkland Dry Dog Food Review
There are types of dry dog food Kirkland has to offer: Kirkland Signature and Nature’s Domain.
Kirkland Signature dog food has average levels of protein, fat, and carbs as other dry dog foods with a moderate amount of animal protein. But, knowing that it’s made by Diamond, you can trust that it’s manufactured at the highest quality using the best ingredients possible. This is Kirkland’s basic product line, and there are a variety of options to choose from, including:
- Kirkland Signature Adult Formula Chicken, Rice, and Vegetable. This adult dog food recipe uses chicken and egg product for the perfect blend of protein and whole grain brown rice for highly digestible fiber. It also has added probiotics for optimal GI health and garden vegetables like potatoes and dried beet pulp to round out the flavor. Glucosamine and chondroitin are added to this chicken rice recipe to support healthy joints, and chicken fat for omega 3 fatty acids maintain healthy skin and a soft, shiny coat.
- Kirkland Signature Adult Formula Lamb, Rice, and Vegetable. If your dog prefers a lamb-based diet, this lamb rice and vegetable formula delivers well-rounded nutrition. The whole grain brown rice is highly digestible and added probiotics promote GI health. This rice and vegetable. recipe is enhanced with garden vegetables, fruits, and herbs and has everything your dog needs to support healthy joints, coat, and skin.
- Kirkland Signature Puppy Formula Chicken, Rice, and Vegetable Dog Food. This chicken rice dog food recipe is perfectly balanced for puppies, with 28 percent crude protein from chicken and chicken meal as well as egg product. The recipe is enhanced with probiotics to support optimal GI health as well as DHA for brain and eye development. Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids support healthy skin and a shiny coat. This small kibble is also the perfect size for little puppies.
- Kirkland Signature Healthy Weight Formula Chicken & Vegetable. If you’re looking for healthy weight management dog foods, this recipe from Kirkland is a great choice. This recipe contains an optimal balance of fat and fiber to help your pet feel full and satisfied. It’s enhanced with probiotics for good GI health and made with fresh chicken, fruits, and vegetables. It also includes chicken fat for omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, glucosamine and chondroitin, and vitamins and minerals, zinc, and selenium.
- Kirkland Signature Small Formula Chicken & Vegetable. Specially formulated for your small dog under 40 pounds, this recipe features 27 percent crude protein from real chicken and chicken meal. The kibble is perfectly sized for a little dog’s mouth and is formulated to support skin and coat health.
- Kirkland Signature Mature Formula Chicken, Rice, and Egg. This Kirkland recipe is complete and balanced for your mature dog. In addition to protein for real chicken and eggs, this formula uses brown rice as it’s number one source for carbohydrates. Omega 3 fatty acids support healthy skin and a shiny coat. It’s also enhanced with probiotics for gut health and contains glucosamine and chondroitin to help your mature dog’s joints stay healthy.
The Nature s Domain line is Kirkland’s high-end brand. When it comes to dog foods, this is a little more expensive, but it offers a few benefits, like a wider variety of protein options and grain-free recipes. They’re also suited for dogs of any life stage, although none of them are formulated for puppies or senior dogs. Flavors of Kirkland Nature’s Domain product line include:
- Kirkland Signature Nature’s Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato. Salmon fish meal is the top source of protein in this recipe and sweet potato adds flavor and vitamins and minerals. Salmon fish meal delivers not only high-quality delicious protein but also omega fatty acids for a shiny coat and healthy skin. This and the other Nature’s Domain recipes use dried chicory root as a natural prebiotic to help maintain a healthy balance of beneficial bacteria to support good GI health.
- Kirkland Signature Nature’s Domain Puppy Formula Chicken & Pea. In addition to being packed with antioxidants for a healthy immune system, this puppy recipe also contains DHA to support proper brain and eye development. Plus, the small kibble size is perfect for little puppies.
- Kirkland Signature Nature’s Domain Turkey Meal and Sweet Potato. Turkey meal and sweet potatoes lead the ingredient in this delicious recipe. With pre and probiotics from dried chicory root, an omega fatty acid blend, and guaranteed levels of vitamin E and selenium, this recipe supports your dog’s health in every way.
- Kirkland Signature Nature’s Domain Beef Meal & Sweet Potato. Another great recipe with sweet potato, this beef-based formula delivers optimal nutrition for your dog’s all-around health. It includes omega fatty acids, vitamin E, selenium, and chicory root. You’ll also find pea and potato protein, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, and more.
- Kirkland Signature Nature’s Domain Small Breed Salmon and Lentil. This one is formulated for small breeds and uses salmon fish meal for protein. Not only is salmon packed with protein, but it’s also easy to digest and contains the omega 3 and 6 fatty acids that your small dog needs for coat and skin health.
- Kirkland Signature Nature’s Domain Organic Chicken & Pea. If you’re looking for an organic option, this is the only product by Kirkland that is USDA certified organic. It uses only the highest quality ingredients, including organic chicken, peas, lentils, garbanzo beans, and sweet potatoes.
Kirkland Wet Dog Food Review
Kirkland dog food does not have a very extensive line of wet dog food options, but there are a few to choose from.
- Nature’s Domain Kirkland Variety Pack Stew Dog Food. This variety pack contains 12 cans of Kirkland Signature Super Adult Dog Chicken, Rice & Vegetable wet dog food and 12 cans of Kirkland Signature Lamb, Rice, and Vegetable Formula Made with Real Lamb. Each contains everything your dog needs to support its overall health, including glucosamine and chondroitin, omega fatty acids, and probiotics.
- Nature’s Domain Kirkland Turkey and Pea Stew Dog Food. This grain-free turkey and pea stew is formulated for dogs of all life stages. It uses real turkey, fruits, and vegetables and provides balanced nutrition for your dog. You can use this as as meal itself, but it’s a great option if you’re looking for a topper, too.
Kirkland Dog Treats
Kirkland has two different treats, Signature Dental Chews and Premium Dog Biscuits Chicken Meal & Rice Formula.
- Kirkland Signature Dental Chews. These signature chews are grain-free, gluten-free, and easily digestible. They contain no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives. Each is two-sided and features multiple levels of nibs and ridges and a large groove to help reduce plaque from all angles. The easy-grip handle is designed to fit between your pet’s paws and encourage natural chewing.
- Kirkland Signature Premium Dog Biscuits Chicken Meal & Rice Formula. This is a simple dog biscuit made with chicken meal and rice. It’s a pretty good representation of the Kirkland brand. Reliable, simple, and tasty without a lot of fuss. They’re made with chicken meal and rice dry treat for your dog, with each biscuit being only 108 calories apiece.
What Dogs Should Eat Kirkland Dog Food?
Overall, Kirkland dog food is a pretty good choice for just about any dog. Here are the types of dogs that we recommend Kirkland for:
Kirkland is a great dog food brand for adult dogs as just about every formula is suited for adult dogs. There are two options formulated specifically for puppies and one for mature dogs. Technically, the entire Kirkland Nature’s Domain dog food line is formulated for all ages, but it’s up to you whether you want to give these recipes to a puppy or senior dog. We tend to prefer dog food recipes that are specially formulated for these two age groups to make sure their needs are met.
Some Kirkland dog food recipes are good for dogs with allergies. The Nature’s Domain dog food line is grain-free and uses novel proteins, like salmon meal and turkey. That said, a majority of the Kirkland Signature line uses chicken as the main protein and should be avoided if your dog is sensitive to chicken.
Your picky eater might not be too interested in cracked pearled barley or beet pulp, but there are a few Kirkland Brand recipes that might make them happy. The wet foods are a great addition to the dry dog food recipes to entice your dog with the smell of gravy.
Kirkland doesn’t have a lot of small breed dog food options to choose from, but there are two small breed recipes to choose from. If chicken and vegetable and salmon and lentil appeal to your little dog, then you’re in luck.
What Brands Should Not Eat Kirkland Dog Food?
There are some dogs that Kirkland’s dog food line is not suitable for, including:
None of these dog food recipes are tailored to the needs of large breed dogs. Though Nature’s Domain is supposed to be for dogs of any life stage, we wouldn’t recommend it for large or giant breeds. It just doesn’t have the ingredients that large breeds need to thrive.
Kirkland has one dog food recipe for weight management. Considering that its product line isn’t that extensive, we’re happy that there is one recipe available. We just wish overweight dogs had more options to choose from, including something in the Nature’s Domain line.
How Does Kirkland Dog Food Measure Up?
Kirkland dog food is a great choice if you’re looking for an affordable dog food that’s of better than average quality. Its Nature’s Domain dog food line is a little more expensive, but it’s also a good option for anyone looking for affordable grain-free dog food.
There are a lot of chicken-based recipes in the Kirkland line, but Nature’s Domain has a few other options to choose from. If your dog has food sensitivities, choose a recipe with salmon meal or turkey.
We like that there are dog food options for small breeds, seniors, and puppies, but feel that Kirkland’s options for healthy weight management are a little limited. Kirkland also does not have a recipe that is specifically for large breeds. Considering that its product line isn’t that extensive, this isn’t surprising, but we think it would have been nice to have a few more options for these dogs.
If you’re looking for a dog food that’s of above average quality at a fair price, the Kirkland Signature line is a great choice. It’s manufactured by a well-known pet food company, and you can trust the quality. If you have a little more money in your budget, try the Nature’s Domain line. It’s got plenty of protein options to choose from. Again, it’s made by a trusted pet food manufacturer that you can trust, and even though it costs a little more, it still won’t break the bank.
Kirkland isn’t a typical dog food brand. It doesn’t have a catchy slogan and you probably won’t see any commercials for it on TV. But that doesn’t mean it’s not a good dog food brand. Kirkland is produced by Diamond Pet Food, a company known for such high-quality brands as Diamond Naturals and Taste of the Wild. If you’re looking for a dog food that’s going to give your pet well-rounded nutrition at a fair price, you can’t get much better than Kirkland.
Source of Featured Image: canva.com