Puppies! It’s so exciting to get a new pet and with a new furry friend comes buying new toys, puppy-proofing your home, and, of course, getting your puppy the right food. You might think it’s as easy as going to the store, picking out the first dog food you find, and then bringing it home for the newest member of your family. We wish it was that simple, but it’s not!
Your little furry friend actually has dietary restrictions that you may not even know about, but that’s okay! We’re here to help you make sure your puppies get everything they need to grow into strong and healthy dogs. Puppies are still growing and are extremely sensitive to what they eat. There’s a reason why we are so strict with puppy food: so they can grow up healthy and avoid any diseases or preventable illnesses.
A puppy’s first source of nutrients is usually their mother’s milk which is filled with all the protein and nutrients that they need. But you can’t feed a puppy their mother’s milk forever. That’s why it’s important to take into consideration what you should look for in puppy food and understand some of the myths associated with puppies.
Puppies are very vulnerable when it comes to food. As curious as they might be putting random and unknown things into their mouths, that does not mean they should do the same with food! Puppies are still growing and need proper nutrients to get healthy and strong. Calcium levels and vitamins must be balanced and a great source of protein is a must.
It can be hard at first, especially since this information is not always well-promoted – but don’t worry! There are a variety of different foods out there that are perfect for your puppy.
- Why Canned Dog Food?
- Tips For Finding the Right Puppy Dog Food
- Ingredients to Look For
- Top 5 Best Dog Canned Dog Foods For
Puppies and Adults
- 1. Nulo Freestyle Turkey and Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-Free
- 2. Candidae Grain-Free Pure Foundations Puppy Formula with Chicken Canned Dog Food
- 3. Wellness Complete Health Just For Puppy
- 4. Merrick Grain-Free Puppy Plate Recipe Canned
- 5. Blue Buffalo Homestyle Recipe Puppy Chicken Dinner with Garden Vegetable Canned Dog Food
Why Canned Dog Food?
Canned dog food is good for puppies, especially when their teeth have not fully come in yet. Kibble might be a little dangerous, especially if they’re still young. Weaning your dog to kibble is one way of getting them used to their dog food but starting off with canned food helps them get away from wanting their mother’s milk all the time. Mixing canned dog food with kibble down the line is a great way of getting your puppy used to eating dog food!
Your dog should receive a sufficient amount of protein and other vitamins and minerals. Canned dog food packs all the necessary nutrients in just a few spoons which makes it easier for your puppy to eat.
Tips For Finding the Right Puppy Dog Food
When you’re looking for the right dog food, consider the type of dog breed you have. There are many things that people overlook when finding the right dog food because there is a general misconception that all dog foods are the same. This is highly incorrect. There are foods for dogs of any age. Some are even breed or size-specific. Finding the best dog food for your puppy can be as easy as discussing it with a vet. They know all about your puppy’s breed which helps you choose the right dog food for them. Here are a couple of tips when looking for the right puppy food:
Ingredients to Look For
How often do we read the label on our own food? Maybe not as often as we should but for your puppy, it’s a must. Here are a few ingredients to consider:
- High Protein. Puppies are growing and that means they need proteins. Find a dog food that matches the level of protein suitable for your puppy’s breed.
- Antioxidants. There are a ton of different diseases just lurking about and your puppy is vulnerable because it’s so young. Giving your puppy food rich in antioxidants boosts your it’s immune system and allows it to become protected against harmful diseases.
- Carbohydrates. Look for carbs such as brown rice and barley. These are able to sustain your puppy for a long time and fuel them until their next meal!
- Phosphorus and Calcium. Get your puppy foods that have a balanced amount of calcium and phosphorus to help with bone growth.
Top 5 Best Dog Canned Dog Foods For Puppies and Adults
Puppies need energy. Nulo’s canned dog food is made to help dogs grow strong and healthy. IT has a balanced source of phosphorus and calcium which allows for healthy teeth and bone growth. Nulo’s also takes into consideration the amount of calcium needed for a puppy to prevent bone disease.
- High-quality protein that helps with muscle mass
- Made for puppies with sensitive dietary restrictions
- Made with real turkey
Candidae’s puppy formula is made with no added preservatives. It’s grain-free to avoid any allergies or other health complications that can arise with your puppy. It also contains chicken as the number one source of protein ensuring that your puppy will have the best possible nutrients. They’ve also made it easy to digest by adding a limited amount of highly nutritional ingredients.
- Chicken for a high source of protein
- Made with limited ingredients for easy digestion
- Grain-free and now compromising ingredients
Made with not one but two sources of protein, your puppy is in for a treat. This food is also a great source of nutrients and necessary antioxidants that will help strengthen your growing puppy’s immune system. They’ll love eating it and you can rest assured you’re giving them what they need to be strong and healthy.
- Two sources of protein; Chicken and Salmon
- Balanced source of calcium for strong bones and teeth
- Antioxidants to boost the immune system
Puppies can be particular about the foods they eat. Merrick has enriched the taste of this canned puppy food by adding chicken flavor to make your puppy want to eat. It is packed with a well-balanced amount of vegetables, fruits, and meats to ensure that your puppy has everything they need to grow big and strong.
- Flavorful to entice your puppy
- Well balanced source of vegetables, fruits, and meats
- No artificial additives
Blue Buffalo has only natural ingredients ensuring that there are no harmful chemicals or preservatives that can hurt your puppy in any way. Their unique blend of brown rice and barley acts as a great source of carbohydrates and ensures your puppy will have enough energy to go about their day. They also have additional supplements such as vitamins and antioxidants that assist your puppy as they go from puppy-hood to adulthood.
- Contains only natural ingredients
- Brown rice and barley as a great source of carbohydrates
- Rich in antioxidants to boost the immune system
I grew up in a household that was filled with animals. I believe that my fate as a dog-loving person was sealed in early childhood since my parents owned several dogs of varying sizes and breeds. There was no choice but to take care of and learn about dog habits and the best animal care practices — otherwise, I’d be clueless about how to go about the creatures I was surrounded by day and night.
As a life-long puppy lover, I know a thing or two about dogs and how to go about caring for them in the best way possible. Although I’m not a professionally trained dog behaviorist, trainer, or veterinarian, all of my knowledge and experience with canines comes from a place of love and a deep-rooted passion for dogs and animals in general.
Seeing as dogs kept me company throughout every stage of my life, I decided to follow a different path in my academic life and obtained a Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Marketing Management and Digital Advertising, which ultimately allowed me to combine my professional training and personal experience by creating the ultimate dog lover’s resource website! Along with my husband, Dave, I run MySweetPuppy for like-minded dog lovers who want to have a single, clear, and reliable information source about anything and everything related to dogs and their well-being.